A Vertical Edge Case Study
U.S. Based Public Organization
Selling Specialty Products, Fuel Products
and Oilfield Services
EPM Upgrade and HFM Redesign
Oil & Gas Industry
Our client, incorporated in 1916, is a public company that has several manufacturing plants that specializes in the manufacturing of naphthenic and paraffinic oils as well as aliphatic solvents and paraffin waxes. Their business is organized into three segments: specialty products, fuel products, and oilfield services.
Our client was changing ERP systems from JD Edwards (JDE) to SAP as well as discontinuing use of Blackline for task management and account reconciliations. Their current Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application was also poorly designed resulting in many issues including:
• The inability to easily drill down in Smart View
• HFM rules file did not contain all rules (account specific calculations were stored in the user defined fields of all accounts)
• Cash flow statement design was so complex that it required monthly metadata updates and other manual intervention to generate the cash flow statement. Our client stopped using the system and performed all tasks directly in excel instead. Additionally, the entire chart of accounts was changing due to the migration from JDE to SAP as well as most other metadata items (Entities, Products, etc). Also, Blackline was being phased out and would be replaced with Financial Close Manger (FCM) & Account Reconciliation Manager (ARM).
Our Vertical Edge Team partnered with our client to accomplish the following: • Upgrade their Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) environment to version 188.8.131.52
• Provide a ground-up redesign of their entire HFM application based on the new SAP accounts, entities, departments and products.
• Create a cash flow solution that is manageable
• Migrate all close tasks to FCM
• Migrate all account reconciliations to ARM
• Automate all data loads to HFM & ARM using Financial Data Management (FDMEE) and the SAP adapter
Client Annual Revenue: